Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Erotica on a Kindle?

4/1/09 update of 2/12/09 post: I've had my Kindle 2 for a month now, and I love it. I'm reading more than ever because it's so easy to carry as many books as I want in one portable device, and Amazon lets me sample books before buying them. Right now I have about 50 samples on my Kindle -- novels, erotica, memoir, sexuality non-fiction, short story anthologies, grief books, and more -- along with several purchased books and a subscription to the San Francisco Chronicle.

I just ordered an Amazon Kindle 2 e-book reader for myself. I've wanted one forever (at least since Kindle 1 came out) but teased myself with anticipation of the second generation of this device. I love to read and I carry books with me everywhere, and soon I can carry just this little device and have access to all the books I could possibly want.

And yes, this is related to sex. I don't know about you, but sometimes I want to to carry a book of erotica or the latest sex book I'm reviewing for this blog into the coffee shop, the gym, or the airport, but I leave it behind because the blatent cover or title would bring me unwanted public attention.

As soon as my Kindle arrives, I can carry all sorts of books, including those that people assume a 65-year-old woman doesn't read! Of course I'll still have to be wary of people reading over my shoulder or saying, "Oh, is that a Kindle? May I look at it?"

Do you have a Kindle or other e-book reader? What sex-related books do you read on it? An Amazon search on "sex" within Kindle books lists 2,947 books, and "erotica" yields 4,882 titles. That'll keep me busy.

6 comments:

  1. I don't have one, but I'd be interested to see future posts about how it's working out for you. I've hesitated getting one *only* because they are not bathtub-friendly. I read that Megan McArdle wrote in an Atlantic blog that she uses a ziplock baggie-but knowing me, I'd not seal it correctly. . .
    Maybe next year they'll have Kindle Waterproof!
    -Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, no, I wouldn't advise reading the Kindle in a bathtub, or a kayak for that matter! A ziplock bag might be good for reading it at the beach, though -- just don't take it in the water!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you I love my Kindle (and I don't even have the spanking new version or anything!). I've been curious -- do you know who makes the decision whether a title will be offered in Kindle format -- publisher, author, etc? And any idea how it affects author royalties, since all the books are less expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony, I understand that the publisher determines whether to offer a Kindle edition and how to price it. The author does not decide (unless the book is independently published) -- I'd love to have Better Than I Ever Expected offered as a Kindle book!

    As for royalties, generally the author gets a small percentage of each book sold after the book earns out the advance, so yes, the author would get a smaller amount on a lower-priced book.

    -- Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I am inspired to get a Kindle 2 with this review.

    I completely understand about the privacy of reading erotica at the coffee shop or other public venue. I have a suggestion for those who want to read their erotica books without embarassment, etc. Trying turning the dust cover inside out, removing it all together, replace it with another nonerotic dust jacket, or make your own. Book covers are also sold in stores, book stores for a fraction of the price of a Kindle reader.

    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I said, " I'd love to have Better Than I Ever Expected offered as a Kindle book!" Now it is! "Better than I Ever Expected on Kindle" right above this comment should link to it.

    A Kindle edition of my blog is available for subscription, too. So cool!

    -- Joan

    ReplyDelete

My readers and I appreciate your thoughtful comments. Please share your views! Comments are moderated, so yours won't appear until I've seen it. Thank you in advance for commenting!

Some people have reported problems commenting. If this happens to you, please email your comment (with the name under which you want it posted) to joan@joanprice.com, and I'll post it for you.

Retailers please note: I delete comments that attempt to hijack my readers to a commercial site. If you'd like to advertise, contact me at joan@joanprice.com and I'll be happy to send you information.

Authors, therapists and sex educators who have helpful information for readers are welcome to post links to their sites.

-- Joan